Tuesday, June 21, 2011

When my life changed.

Sometimes I like to imagine myself in this little cabin in the middle of the forest all by myself. I like the idea of being off alone, but I don't know why I picture myself as a hermit in the forest. I'm the last person who could go out, and hunt for my food everyday.

While I'm also not a "city person," I did enjoy being alone in Atlanta the last three years. I didn't really make any friends, and I stayed cooped up in my room mostly. I was away from everyone, and if I my rare need of human contact came around, I could just walk across the street to the grocery store and wonder around. I did this, a lot. The grocery store shortly became my favorite place to be.

Living on my own wasn't all fun, though. I had a girlfriend, Emily, who went to another college. We were together for two years, before we went to separate colleges. We lasted another two years after that.

To this day, I still wonder what it'd be like if I went to her college like I had originally wanted to do. Well, I'm paying for it now. I wanted to do game design, and now I'll probably never get a job doing it. The only thing going to that college got me was a useless Bachelor's, and a break up that'll affect me for the rest of my life.

Living back in my home town is doing nothing for me, except bringing up unneeded memories. I lost everyone I was close to while I was away in Atlanta, and now I have no one to help me through this. Or anything else I'm going through.

I had a best friend, Evan. We were perfect together; best friends for eighteen years since pre-k. We used to talk about being each others best man. It was, at the time, obvious me and Emily would be together forever, and he would be my best man. While in Atlanta, Emily broke up with me, so that didn't work out. And then in the winter last year, Evan and I had gotten into a fight over an indirect joke I made about his girlfriend.

If you know me and my life's "great" track record, then you know that they, of course, got married. And I wasn't his best man.

So, Atlanta provided me with some short term happiness, but in the long run, I lost everything that I loved. I lost the two and only important people in my life, I lost the innocence in art that was turned into a competition full of insensitive critiquing, and I lost my happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment